[Samba] Migrating to new server

Kevin Kallsen kallsen at e101.com
Thu May 6 15:05:28 GMT 2004

Hi folks.

I asked this question a couple of weeks ago, but nobody posted any answers.

I have mandrake 9.1 with Samba 2.2.8 running a domain with 500 users.  It
has worked flawlessly for a long time.  However, it is time to set up a new
server.  I have a new server with Mandrake 10 OE and Samba  3.0.3 running.
Please explain to this newbie and very satisfied samba user how to migrate
all my users, groups, sid, domain, etc to the new machine.  My goal is to
rsync the correct folders and then power down the old server and have the
domain clients recognize the new server.  In  addition I do not use cups and
can avoid some of the current issues with the mandrake/samba/cup systems.

I would also like to know:  Could I just install 3.0.3 on the Mandrake 9.1
and then migrate over?

Thanks for your timely response,

Kevin