[Samba] Migrate passwords from NT4 to Samba-LDAP

Philip Washington phwashington at comcast.net
Wed May 5 21:23:21 GMT 2004

Philip Washington wrote:
> We were able to migrate the Machines and the Users from NT4 to
> Samba-LDAP, but now we find that the passwords did not migrate.
> Is there a solution for this? Is there another problem.
> We are doing the migration onto a Suse system with samba 3.0.2a
> and have used both the smbldap-tools 0.8.2 and 0.8.4 without complete
> success.

    We are also finding that users that we enter manually, when
attempting to login: if we enter the correct password we get and error
messages that the user cannot be logged in due to error C000189. If the
password is entered incorrectly we get the standard message that the
user could not be entered check the password and the user Id.  This
different behavior when the correct password and an incorrect password
are entered indicates to me that it is seeing the password it's just
doesn't isn't handling it correctly when entered correctly.  The test
computer was an NT4 computer.