[Samba] Script repository?

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Wed May 5 20:14:38 GMT 2004

Does anyone know of a place where I can find sample scripts for use
with Samba?

Looking thru smb.conf we have these options:

	add user script
	delete user script
	add group script
	delete group script
	add user to group script
	delete user from group script
	set primary group script
	add machine script
	shutdown script
	abort shutdown script
	logon script

There are probably others that I'm missing.

For some of these options, standard *nix tools suffice. For example,

	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u

works fine for most installations. However, sometimes the default *nix
tool behavior isn't quite what you want. For example,

	add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u

will add a user to the specified (Unix) group, BUT it will remove the user
from any non-specified (Unix) groups. [As an aside: how do these
scripts relate to the tdbsam smbpasswd backend?]

Sometimes, users may want to do more than what the *nix tool offers.

It would be nice if there was some place where there was an archive of
scripts that others have created so that the rest of us don't have to
reinvent the wheel. If you know of it, let us know.

--Jon Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
jon at sutinen.com
(360) 270-9317 cell