[Samba] slow samba performance vs. w2k

Federico Grau grauf at rfa.org
Wed May 5 15:59:40 GMT 2004

Hi samba folk,

Firstly, thank you for an excellent project!

We are attempting to use Samba on a NAS unit running GNU/Linux which will be a
data store for a couple hundred BE AudioVault Vault2 clients
(http://www.audiovault.com/vault2/v2_idx.html).

However, we have been experiencing much worse performance using Samba vs. Win
2k server.  This is immediately apparant when using the BE NFServer software,
which syncs two SMB shares with each other; Win 2k server performs at 60
megabytes/minute while Samba is only performing around 15 megabytes/minute.

I have posted some packet captures using tcpdump comparing a successful vs. a
problem transfer here:
    http://techweb.rfa.org/staff/grauf/NAS_smb_debug/

Details of our software and hardware are documented here:
    http://techweb.rfa.org/staff/grauf/NAS_smb_debug/readme.txt

How can I further diagnose and correct this problem?

thank you,
donfede