[Samba] Password must change: 0

Simon Berg simonb at gmx.net
Wed May 5 14:38:26 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a domain user in USRMGR.EXE. The samba account will
have its property "Password must change" set to 0. this results in the
user not being able to access shares if he has been never logged in
before. smbclient will return NT_STATUS_PASSWORD_MUST_CHANGE after
logon. in USRMGR.EXE, it is impossible to uncheck the checkbox for
"password must change". i.e. you can click to change it, but it will be
checked again next time you open the user's configuration window.

On the other hand, adding a user using "pdbedit -a", the property is set
to "Fr, 13 Dec 1901 21:45:51 GMT" and everything works fine. But doing
so s not an option for the part-time admin at the site.

I understand from the man page of pdbedit that one cannot manually
change this the property from anywhere?

I'm using samba 3.0.2a-Debian. Is that a known bug and probably already
fixed in 3.0.3?

Thanks and greetings from Berlin,

Simon