[Samba] Domain security, users still asked for login

Hamish captainmish at gmx.net
Wed May 5 09:53:32 GMT 2004

Hello

I have been having problems with authentication on a suse 9 box with
samba 3.0.3 installed from rpms.
I have googled till my fingers bled, there is just the question, no
answer, someone must have been able to solve it out of all the people
who had the problem?

I joined the domain with net join, this was successful
I can list users/groups, authenticate and check the secret with wbinfo
testparm gives no errors:
Processing section "[general]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        server string = DATASERVER
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = 2k3domaincontroller
        load printers = No
        os level = 33
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = /
        winbind cache time = 10
        admin users = MYDOMAIN/Administrator, domadm
        printer admin = domadm

[general]
        comment = General
        path = /share
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

When a user attempts to connect to the server, they are asked for
authentication, this should not be because it is set to security=domain,
log.winbindd contains lines of
winbindd_create_user: Refusing to create user that already exists
(%username%) for whichever user tries to connect.
log.smbd has lines of
make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!

So it seems that winbind is working ok, im lost about how to fix this
authentication problem though... please help!
Thank you,