[Samba] Simple Printing Question

Tim tbbooher at cox.net
Wed May 5 02:09:38 GMT 2004

Hi. I am trying to follow the simplest implementation of linux printing and
can't get it to work. Following the SAMBA quickstart how-to I set up the
following SAMBA config. Everything works except the printer.

[global]
workgroup = myworkgroup
netbios name = myserver
security = share
printcap name = cups
disable spoolss = Yes
show add printer wizard = No
printing = cups
encrypt password = Yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
server string = s %v on %L

[printers]
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
use client driver = Yes
browseable = No

the spool directory is set up as

drwxrwxr-t    2 root     root         4096 Sep 26  2003 samba

I also enabled the raw mime handler in the /etc/mime.conv and
/etc/mime.types
files.

So now I enter any Windows XP machine (home or professional), install the
printer locally and try to print a test page and I get the following error:

"Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter
for
assistance? Unable to create a print job."

If I try to print from notepad I get "A StartDocPrinter call was not
issued."

Any thoughts on how I can get over this hurdle?

Thanks,

Tim