[Samba] Character, Codepage Problems?

Walter.Laub at schwindt.net Walter.Laub at schwindt.net
Tue May 4 14:55:43 GMT 2004

Hello,

we have some strange things with samba 3.0.2a, AIX5.1, ML03:

1.
./configure --prefix=/usr/samba

:
:
checking for iconv in /usr... yes
checking can we convert from CP850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from IBM850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from ASCII to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from 646 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from UTF-8 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from UTF8 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking for iconv in /usr/local... yes
checking can we convert from CP850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from IBM850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from ASCII to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from 646 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from UTF-8 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from UTF8 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking for iconv in /sw... yes
checking can we convert from CP850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from IBM850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from ASCII to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from 646 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from UTF-8 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from UTF8 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking for iconv in /opt... yes
checking can we convert from CP850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from IBM850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from ASCII to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from 646 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from UTF-8 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from UTF8 to UCS2-LE?... no
configure: WARNING: Sufficient support for iconv function was not found.
    Install libiconv from http://freshmeat.net/projects/libiconv/ for
better charset compatibility!
:
:

AIX has the integrated command iconv:
root at cosct-srv >lslpp -L | grep -i iconv
  bos.iconv.com             5.1.0.50    C     F    Common Language to
Language
  bos.iconv.de_DE            5.1.0.0    C     F    EBCDIC & ASCII Language
  bos.iconv.ucs.com         5.1.0.50    C     F    Unicode Base Converters
for
  bos.iconv.ucs.ebcdic       5.1.0.0    C     F    Unicode Converters for
EBCDIC
  bos.iconv.ucs.pc           5.1.0.0    C     F    Unicode Converters for
  bos.rte.iconv             5.1.0.25    C     F    Language Converters
root at cosct-srv >which iconv
/usr/bin/iconv

When compiling so (without external iconv-support), then german Umlaut
characters stored from windows client are not the same characters like in
an AIX Shell!

2.
Compiling additionally the GNU libiconv under AIX is not a good ideea,
because after that AIX does not work well.
Only compiling GNU libiconv with the option for static library delivers
acceptable results!

The german Umlaut stored from windows client are now o.k. in an AIX-shell!

3.
But now, we found this:
When double click in windows explorer on a certain file, eg. Powerpoint
Viewer-file, we get this message (but not on all windows 2000/xp-clients):

 "Powerpoint Viewer cannot find the file "VWCCQV~G.PPT"

We don't know where from the reported filename is, because the original
name is complete different (viewed from windows client, as well as from an
AIX-shell). Open the same file with the File - Open - Dialog from
Powerpoint Viewer works well!
With registry-Files (*.reg) the bevaviour is the same.

!!! When we copy the files local or on an samba228a server then all works
fine !!!

extracts from my smb.conf:
:
unix charset            = ISO8859-1