[Samba] Mapping a Drive to a folder under a share from Linux to Windows 2003

James McDonald james at jamesmcdonald.id.au
Mon May 3 23:38:13 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have a Linux Workstation and a Windows 2003 Server that I have setup
to have a top level share called \\servername\homes$ with user folders
under this share name. I have patched the kernel for cifs and also
compiled the mount.cifs utility from Samba 3.0.3 source because windows
2003 would accept a standard mount -t smbfs command.

 From my windows clients I map H: directly to
\\servername\homes$\username folder.

However it appears that I can't map to a subfolder on a share from
linux, is this correct?

The command
mount -t cifs //servername/homes$/username /mnt/h -o
username=myusername,password=mypassword
fails with
mount error 22 = Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Anyone else encountered this ?

Cheers
james