[Samba] 3.0.3 upgrade comments

Graham Vincent graham at gpv.co.nz
Mon May 3 22:35:48 GMT 2004

Hello Samba gurus.

I've just finished an upgrade from 2.2.8a to 3.0.3 on my old pc file
server. Many years ago it used to be a RH 6.2 machine but most packages
(including Samba) have now been built from source.

I have a couple of observations that might be worth including in the
documentation/man pages to help other users:

The swat man page instructions for editing /etc/inetd.conf refer to:

swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat

but this should now be:

swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat swat
                                                  ^

as the swat is now installed to sbin by default.

The default install now places smbd and nmbd in the sbin directory as
well where previously they were in bin. The /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb script
I have on my machine was pointing to the bin directory so I just
restarted the old binaries until I noticed that a small edit was
required to point to the new location. It was only chasing down the
reason for swat still showing the old version number and the absence of
the shares/connections on the swat status page that gave me hint that
something was wrong.

It would be useful if samba told a log file what version it was when it
starts - certainly would have saved me a lot time.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Graham
--