[Samba] Printing with and without cups on the same machine

Marco Zimmermann lists at laser.ch
Mon May 3 21:27:37 GMT 2004

Hi all!

We have a samba 3.0.2a-Debian running in combination with cups.

I want to use cups to print to all "normal" printers (e.g. HP
Laserjet), which seems to run.

But I want also use a printer-script to genereate pdf Files using
gs (no, I don't want to use the pdf backend providet on the cups
web site, for several reasons...)

On a machine running samba 2.2.3a-13 without cups, the printer
works wunderful with the following settings:

[pdf-writer]
   path = /var/spool/pdf/
   valid users = marco
   printable = Yes
   print command = /usr/local/bin/pdf-script %s %U %H

What settings should I use to get the same script running on the
machine described above?

The current config looks like this:

[global]
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes

[printers]
   path = /var/spool/samba
   write list = @root
   printer admin = @lpadmin
   create mask = 0700
   guest ok = Yes
   printable = Yes
   printing = cups
   browseable = No

[pdf-writer]
  path = /var/spool/samba
  printing = bsd
  printable = Yes
  guest ok = Yes
  print command = /usr/local/bin/pdf-script %s %U %H

In the logfile i found:

[2004/05/03 23:18:55, 0]
printing/print_cups.c:cups_queue_get(899)
  Unable to get jobs for ipp://localhost/printers/pdf-writer -
client-error-not-found

How can I tell samba to prints directly to the pdf-writer,
without trying to use cups?

Any hint would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance, Marco.