[Samba] cannot change user password with CTRL-ALT-DEL

Ciprian Vizitiu ciprian.vizitiu at gbif.org
Mon May 3 08:37:18 GMT 2004

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:13:39PM +0200, Angel Chiou wrote:
> > I've been running samba (currently 2.2.3a-13 for Debian) as
> a PDC with
> > W2k
> > clients for over two years. The system was up and running
> quite well for a
> > long time. A couple of days ago, I installed the following
> MS-patches:
> >
> > MS04-011
> > MS04-012
> > MS04-013
> > MS04-014
> > MS02-011
> >
> > Now when users try to change their password from the w2k
> clients using
> > CTRL-ALT-DEL, a popup window appears saying: "password
> change failed, the
> > domain <xxx> is not available". But the fact is that the
> password has been
> > succesfully changed (i.e. the popup should state: "password
> succesfully
> > changed."). When users log out and login again, the login
> obviusly fails,
> > since users use their old passwords instead of the new ones...
> >
> > I wonder whether I am the only one who is experiencing this problem
> > and
> > whether somebody knows how to solve this problem.
> >
> > I can send the logs (nmbd.log, smbd.log and log.machinename) if
> > somebody
> > needs them.
>
> Let me try and reproduce this first, thanks for the heads-up.
> I'll be in touch if we can't reproduce it.

I've had exactly the same problem with XP Pro WS after the latest patches
from Redmond it's just that samba was 2.2.8a. I've upgraded to 3.0.2 (as
distributed by RedHAt Enterprise)... No luck. Finally I've downloaded and
compiled 3.0.3; same. On 2.2.8a I was using smbpasswd, in the 3.0.x attempts
I've used LDAP. Same symptoms, one "blindly" changes the password while
getting an error message.