[Samba] Can't the very basic stuff to work

Tim Booher tbbooher at cox.net
Mon May 3 03:09:16 GMT 2004

Fedora Core 1:Samba 3.0.0-15 trying to connect with Windows XP Pro and

Hello All, I am really hoping for some help on this one. I am going
through the very basic process of trying to learn Samba and get my home
network up -- followed the HowTo verbatim. I have several problems that
are show-stoppers.

(1) I canft print. I have a hp Photosmart 7150 installed locally on the
linux box and it works perfectly when printing from linux. I can see the
printer from the samba share in windows and can install and
esuccessfullyf print (the job reads gremote downlevel documenth
No entries
Zero activity on the printers part.

(2) I canft access my share. If I try to go to start¨run and type
\\agamemnon\data the only option for a username is AGAMEMNON\Guest and its
disabled.

I could really use some help on this. Thanks for any pointers. I know this
is not secure -- just want to prove the concept first.

Tim

#My smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = archenland
netbios name = agamemnon
security = share
printcap name = cups
disable spoolss = Yes
show add printer wizard = No
printing = cups

[homes]
comment = Tim and Chrissy's Home Directories
# we set the valid users = to the current share's name
valid users = %S
read only = No
# we might want to set this to No after troubleshooting
browseable = Yes

[data]
# this is the main share we run all our files from
comment=Tim and Chrissy's data store
path = /home/data
guest ok = No
valid users = tim chrissy