[Samba] Windows XP client - intermittent 'network name cannot be found' loading profile

Michael Vermaes michaelv at realcognita.com
Mon May 3 02:53:25 GMT 2004

I have seen a number of postings which seem similar to the problem I am
having, but am yet to find a fix for my situation. Problem is as
follows:

- Samba 3.0.2 rpm installed on Red Hat Enterprise ES 3.0, configured as
PDC with ldapsam backend
- Windows XP Professional client joined to the Samba domain.

The XP client successfully joins the domain and can browse and access
shares (including the user's profile). The first login (as a domain
user) always succeeds, following logins randomly fail with the message:

"Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile
will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes of
this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If
this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The network name cannot be found."

The problem seems to be as described in the Microsoft knowledge base
article number 831651, however I have obtained the hotfix from them and
still have the issue.

I have tried a base install of XP (SP 1a) and also downloading and
installing all critical Windows Updates.

A Windows 2000 Professional (SP 2) client joined to the same domain
works consistently in this situation with no problem.

Any advice would be appreciated as this is the final issue I need to
resolve to migrate our Active Directory domain to Samba/OpenLDAP. This
seems to be an issue specifically with XP logging into Samba, since W2K
works consistently, therefore I believe my config is mostly correct,
however I can post the details if necessary.

Thanks.