[Samba] smbmnt as user

Lance Dial lcdial at earthlink.net
Sun May 2 16:58:37 GMT 2004

Hello all,

I read in the smbmnt man page that:
"A setuid smbmnt will only allow mounts on directories owned by the
user, and that the user has write permission on."
I am trying to set up a mount on /mnt/laptop.  I have given my users 777
permissions on the directory, but it is owned by root.  Is there any way
that I can work around this.  It appears from the man page that smbmnt
will only work where the users have write permissions and own the
directory.  Has anyone come up with a way around this -- or does it
offer some security benefit that makes it worthwhile.  Thanks!

Lance Dial