[Samba] Verified bug in Woody Samba

Tony Whitmore tonywhitmore at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 2 09:13:09 GMT 2004

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 03:41:18PM -0500, blfs wrote:
>>OK, so I go to this page:
>>
>>https://bugzilla.samba.org/enter_bug.cgi
>>
>>Now what?
>>
>>Samba 2.2 is not listed.
>

> We are not accepting bugs against Samba 2.2 unless
> they are security problems. Samba2.x is no longer
> actively developed and is in security maintanence
> mode only.
>
> I suggest you file a bug with the Debian project
> and ask them to update to a maintained version of
> Samba.

Although Samba 3 isn't in the Debian stable tree, the forthcoming
release of Debian 3.1 includes Samba 3.0.2a. Although this release has
been a long time in development, there isn't a confirmed release date
yet as the last few bugs are still being squished.

However, if you can't wait for that release, www.backports.org provides
a Samba 3.0.2a package for Debian stable which I have tested and found
to be OK at work. The website provides instructions on how to get
packages via apt. The only thing that the backports.org packages were
missing that I needed was "quota reporting" support, but I was able to
recompile the packages quite easily to enable this option.

Cheers,

Tony