[Samba] page count logging samba/cups

Kuba Leszewski jleszews at ce3.pl
Sat May 1 11:41:09 GMT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> > But when I use a printer shared through Samba, then every print job
> > appears as single page.
> >
> > I  read this:
> > http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux/2002-Jan/2508.html
> > and this:
> > http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2002-November/056520.html
> >
> > I understand that the print job must pass through the 'pstops' filter,
> > in order to get logged properly.
>
> Have you checked how your job is processed by CUPS?
> *Does* the job pass the pstops filter or not? Which actual
> filtering chain is used?

The problem was actually a different thing.

In smb.conf I had a printing command parameter, which said to run lpr with
some command line options.
One of these options was -l, which is the same as -oraw. So samba was
sending everythinf to CUPS as RAW, even though I was using a postscript
driver on my Windows client machine.

As soon as I deleted this -l option, everything works fine.

I don't know, where this -l come from. Probably it was in my smb.conf for
a very long time :-) .

Anyway, thanks for your interest, and for your previous replies and
tips You gave to other people. It was quite helpful.

--
Regards
Kuba