[Samba] winbindd logon still requires Unix user id

Fletcher, Stephen P SFletcher at unumprovident.com
Wed Mar 31 17:42:49 GMT 2004

I'm running Samba 3.0.2a (UCLA binaries) on AIX 5.2. The net command
worked fine and joined a win 2k domain.

The wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g work great. However, all connections fail
unless the user id exists on the AIX machine.

I can bypass the problem by using username map and a dummy account
"bozo". Here's a section of the Configuration

# Samba config file created using SWAT

# from 10.23.20.63 (10.23.20.63)

# Date: 2004/03/30 14:05:38

# Global parameters

[global]

            workgroup = UPITS

            security = DOMAIN

            auth methods = winbind

            allow trusted domains = No

            password server = chaadsits01

            username map = /usr/local/private/usermap.txt

            log level = 2

            preferred master = No

            local master = No

            domain master = No

            ldap ssl = no

            idmap uid = 80000-90000

            idmap gid = 90001-99000

            template homedir = /samba/home

            template shell = /bin/ksh

            winbind separator = +

Here are the entries from the usermap.txt file:

# all windows user names translate to a Unix ID.

bozo = Richard Brent

steve = Mike Shawn

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Please help!

                              S.