[Samba] Problems authenticating with wbinfo

Mike Sullivan mike at oddjob.utias.utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 31 14:00:41 GMT 2004

I am running samba 3.0.2a and am trying to validate a
user account using wbinfo -a USERNAME%PASSWORD against
an NT4 Server.  I get the following:

plaintext password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)
error messsage was: No such user
Could not authenticate user USERNAME%PASSWORD with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

It appears that first a clear text password is tried which fails and then
an encrypted attempt is successful. The probem is that wbinfo returns a
non zero exit status which indicates a failure. If I use and incorrect
password
I get:

plaintext password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)
error messsage was: No such user
Could not authenticate user USERNAME%BADPASSWORD with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD (0xc000006a)
error messsage was: Wrong Password
Could not authenticate user USERNAME with challenge/response

So it appears that essentially everything is working but that because
the first clear
text attempt fails wbinfo returns a non zero status even though a
subsequent attempt
was successful.  How can I stop the attempt using a clear text password?

                                       Mike Sullivan