[Samba] Lots of Samba (smbd) processes

Collen Blijenberg <MLHJ> systeembeheer at hermanjordan.nl
Wed Mar 31 08:08:59 GMT 2004

Hmm, and you did try these in your smb.conf:

strickt locking = no
posic locking = no
level2 oplocks = no
oplocks = no
locking = no
kernel oplocks = no

also try setting your log level up to, say 4 or 5
and check to output of them.. there might be more
things then only locking probs..
l8r
Collen Blijenberg   (Montessori Lyceum Herman Jordan)

RCSPS> Collen, it happened again.  Samba just seemed to fail on a Windows XP
RCSPS> Professional client.  It refused to allow a file to be copied from the SCO
RCSPS> OpenServer UNIX system to Windows.  I stopeed Samba, and then restarted and
RCSPS> all was okay after that?  We have about 25 Windows PC's on the network, with
RCSPS> UNIX having 2 shares (mapped drives), yet I saw 220 snbd's?  I'm not sure
RCSPS> the # of smbd's is out of line or normal, or whether it's even related to
RCSPS> the problem.  Prior, I put in the oplocks = no change like you suggested.
RCSPS> Thanks so much, Rick...
RCSPS> ----- Original Message -----
RCSPS> From: "Collen Blijenberg <MLHJ>"
RCSPS> <systeembeheer at hermanjordan.nl>
RCSPS> To: "Rick Cone, Secure Payment Systems"
RCSPS> <rcone at securepaymentsystems.com>
RCSPS> Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 12:48 AM
RCSPS> Subject: Re[2]: [Samba] Lots of Samba (smbd) processes

>> Hmm i see you have a lot of "broken pipes" and "oplock_break failures"
>> think your prob might be there..
>> i'm not sure, but the broken pipes might come from that oplock issue..
>> are you running kernel 2.4.2x, by anny change??
>> (coz' as far as i know, it has a oplock prob)
>>
>> you could try to disable the oplocks to see what happens.. (with in
>> samba that is)
>> also try setting your log level up, so you have more debug info.
>> L8r.
>> Collen Blijenberg (MLHJ)
>>
>> Wednesday, March 24, 2004, 5:32:48 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> RCSPS> Here is the log file.  I modified the S99samba startup to kill all
RCSPS> smbd's.
>> RCSPS> That fixed the "stop"  situation.  Still concerned about all the
RCSPS> processes.
>> RCSPS> There are some log messages about broken pipes?   Thanks so much,
RCSPS> Rick
>> RCSPS> ----- Original Message -----
>> RCSPS> From: "Collen Blijenberg <MLHJ>"
>> RCSPS> <systeembeheer at hermanjordan.nl>
>> RCSPS> To: "Rick Cone, Secure Payment Systems"
>> RCSPS> <rcone at securepaymentsystems.com>
>> RCSPS> Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 12:52 AM
>> RCSPS> Subject: Re: [Samba] Lots of Samba (smbd) processes

RCSPS> the