[Samba] force user not working

Chris chrisd at better-investing.org
Tue Mar 30 18:18:36 GMT 2004

Hello.

I am making a new samba server.  My old samba server was a RedHat machine
(6.2) with samba 2.0.7 on it.  My new samba server is a Gentoo machine with
Samba 3.0.2a.

Aside from the fact that I am now using ADS instead of a traditional NT4
domain -- everything else is the same.  I am keeping all the shares the same,
I have synced all the gid's and uid's between the two machines, and I rsynced
all the files and directories over from the old machine so that all the
permissions and ownerships are the same between the two machines.

For some reason, on the new machine, my "Force User =" is not working.  All
files are owned by root no matter what -- not the user that created them.
For all of my common directories (each dept has a commond dir that only their
dept can access) I have "Force User = %U".  This is important, because
without it the created files do not apply to the user's quota.

I wish to stress that this did *not* happen with 2.0.7... it worked just as it
should.

Could someone please give me a hand here?

TIA

Chris

Here is a clip from my smb.conf:

[global]
        netbios name = PERSEUS
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind enum groups = yes
        dns proxy = no
        realm= MY.DOMAIN
        workgroup = MYWRKGRP
        netbios aliases = PERSEUS
        server string = PERSEUS
        security = ADS
        wins proxy = no
        map to guest = Bad User
        password server = sisyphus.my.domain
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast
        time server = Yes
        os level = 0
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        wins server = 10.10.10.10
        hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 10.10.10.
        oplocks = No
        follow symlinks = No
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        load printers = yes
===================<snip>===============================

[Members]
        path = "/home/Members"
        valid users = +member_serv, chrisd, kurtk, administrator, jeffh
        admin users = chrisd, kurtk, administrator, jeffh
        read list = +member_serv, chrisd, kurtk, administrator, jeffh
        write list = +member_serv, chrisd, kurtk, administrator, jeffh
        force user = %U
        force group = member_serv
        read only = No
        create mask = 0660