[Samba] Problems with charsets and i18n

Ralf Tomczak r.tomczak at scitech-gmbh.de
Tue Mar 30 10:53:34 GMT 2004

Hello list,

probably a known issue (but I haven't found a link yet):

I'm using 3.0.2a with 'unix charset = ISO8859-15' and get the following then a file with ticks is created:
- desired: "äöüßÄÖÜ`'´€"
- displayed: "äöüßÄÖÜ`'Ž€"
                      ^^^
The euro sign is created correctly in a file name. The filename will be displayed in the filesystem correctly.

Then I switch to LATIN1 the ticks are OK (correctly displayed from windows client and in the Unix filessystem as well).

I'm using Suse SLES8 but I've seen the issue with debian as well with locales set to de_DE.ISO8859-15 (or de_DE at euro on SLES8).

Surplus: The locales seem to be OK and it's possible to create files with ticks and euro sign on the console.

Any Ideas?
Ralf Tomczak