[Samba] Multiple connections to a server by same user, using more than one user name, not allowed.

Stephen Agar stephen.agar at usm.edu
Mon Mar 29 19:57:00 GMT 2004

Hi,
I am using samba 2.2.7, configured with winbind, connected to a domain.
I have publically shared printers that are done via user map. I also
have many shares that I need to authenticate for, due to access rights.

With one of the printers installed on my XP laptop, if I try to connect
to a share, but inputting my "DOMAIN\user" and "password" I get the
following error:

"Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user,
using more than one user name, not allowed."

I have read that Windows will not allow you to connect to samba with
more than one username, and since the printer share is mapped to a fake
user, then it counts that as one username. Parts of my smb.conf is below:
####################begin
[global]

    workgroup = ALCHEMY
    template shell = /bin/false
    template homedir = /home/%D/%U
    winbind uid = 10000-50000
    winbind gid = 10000-50000
    server string = WINBIND
    wins server = x.x.x.x
    security = domain
    password server = ALCHEMY
    encrypt passwords = yes
    map to guest = bad user
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    dns proxy = no
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    guest account = nobody
    server string = Print Server
    comment = Print Server
    hosts allow = x.x
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         create mask = 0700
         printable = yes
         browseable = yes
         public = yes
[pspview_all]
         comment = People Soft Secure Viewable Files
         path = /home/shares/pspview_all
         public = no
         writable = yes
         valid users = 'DOMAIN\username'
         create mode = 0774
         directory mode = 0775

I have the "map to guest" and "guest account" so the printers can be
publically used without authentication. Then using a DOMAIN\username
(that I can see authenticating on the PDC, I get the error I stated
above. Is there any workaround to this?

thanks,
stephen

Stephen Agar, Systems Administrator II
University of Southern Mississippi, iTech
e-mail: stephen.agar at usm.edu