[Samba] Can't re-add NT box to domain

Chris Garrigues cwg-dated-1081013350.14721b at deepeddy.com
Mon Mar 29 17:29:09 GMT 2004

> From:  Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:45:34 -0700
>
> well from your description then, it would seem as though the message is
> coming from the PDC which I am assuming to be samba. Check
> /var/log/samba/log.ip_address_of_machine and
> /var/log/samba/log.NETBIOS_NAME_OF_MACHINE to see if there are any
> clues.

We actually renamed the machine in case something was cached on the server.
the IP log file is empty and the NETBIOS name log file only shows traffic from
when we've connected while in a workgroup instead of the domain.

> On your PDC (is it v3 or 2.2.x?)

As mentioned before, we upgraded to 3.x and I inadvertently changed the SID of
the network in the process.

> domain logons = yes
> domain master = yes
> preferred master = yes
> security = share
> os level = ? #not sure if this will cause a problem if less than 32 or so

        domain logons = Yes
        local master = Yes
        security = user
        os level = 127
        preferred master = Yes

Note again that all our 2000 and xp boxes are fine.

> At what point does this error message come - before or after it searches
> the domain for a duplicate machine account? If it occurs after it
> searches the domain for another machine with the same name, you may want
> to delete the machine account from /etc/passwd and /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> (or whatever backend you are using... smbpasswd -m -x MACHINE_NAME)

we're using the LDAP backend and we did that.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
Trinsic Solutions		http://www.trinsics.com

	    If you don't apply what you've learned, you haven't
	       learned anything.