[Samba] can Desktop.ini files be made to work on samba shares?

Urs Rau urs.rau at uk.om.org
Fri Mar 26 21:45:34 GMT 2004

Is it possible to make Desktop.ini files active on samba shares? Ideally I would like to do two things:

1. make certain shares display special icons

Desktop.ini:
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=27
ConfirmFileOp=0

2. have exploratory texts pop-up when users explore certain shares (similar to the messages that pop
up when users go to the windows directory.

Desktop.ini:
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=27
ConfirmFileOp=0
InfoTip=this is a warning text

Using these files on local folders works jsut fine but on a samba share I can't get it to take effect.

Thanks for any help with this.

Urs Rau