[Samba] "net rpc vampire" case sensitivity problem

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Thu Mar 25 23:39:16 GMT 2004

Ed Ravin wrote:

>We just migrated a small network from a Win2K PDC to Samba, using
>"net rpc vampire" into a tdbsam backend on a Samba 3.0.2a Linux box.
>
>One of the users, let's call him Jon Harker, had the NT username "JHarker".
>When we ran  "pdbedit -v jharker", we saw this:
>
>   Unix username:        JHarker
>   NT username:          JHarker
>
>Well, that looks wrong - the NT username can be mixed case for all I care,
>but shouldn't the Unix name be all lower case?
>
>We changed jharker's /etc/passwd entry to "JHarker" and he was subsequently
>able to login.  Since we didn't like that as a fix, we changed /etc/passwd
>back to all lower case and carefully edited the passdb.tdb in emacs (the
>binary editor of choice on Unix systems :-) to knock the mixed-case usernames
>into lower case, which also fixed the problem.
>
>Both of these users already had accounts (all lower case) in /etc/passwd
>before we ran "net rpc vampire".
>
>Other than this, the vampire process ran very smoothly.
>
>	-- Ed

Interesting. I remember have case sensitivity problems ( among others )
when using 'net rpc vampire' with 3.0.1-rc-something.
Actually I had such a hard time that I decided to hold off until the
process went a little smoother.
Yeah I also remember hand-editing /etc/passwd entries ( sometimes
unsucessfully - I rooted some guy's account good ! ).
Have there been any bug fixes to the 'vampire' function since 3.0.1?
While I understand the cause of the case sensitivity problems, I think
this still needs more attention - perhaps all names should be forced to
lower case? Lets just say that my previous experience didn't exactly
inspire confidence in the system I was setting up - hence we are still
on an NT4 domain controller.

Anyway, since someone else had a 'very smooth' experience, maybe I was
partly to blame. I'll give it another go when I get more time.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer
email: dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au