[Samba] Roaming Profiles with WinXP and Samba PDC

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Thu Mar 25 23:21:38 GMT 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 02:02:52PM +0000, kgmm at kgmm.co.uk wrote:
> After a great deal of tweaking, I finally got the Samba server
> working, so that it would accept domain logins. However, the problem I
> now have regards roaming profiles, which refuse to function. After
> successfully authenticating the user, the following 2 messages appear:
>
> Message 1:
> ----------
> Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
> attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the
> profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible
> causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security
> rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.
>
> DETAIL - The network path was not found.

The "network path" in this instance means the path for the remote
profile supplied by the PDC.  I see that your logon path is:

>         logon path = \\L%\profiles\%U

Have you tested access to that path, with substitutions for %L and
%U, with smbclient and by testing from the client computer?

> Message 2:
> Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a
> temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when
> you log off.

Sounds like the SID of the user after login isn't the same as the one
stored in the local profile.  Are these new users in the domain or
did you migrate them from somewhere?