[Samba] Public Printer Share with security=domain

Stephen Agar stephen.agar at usm.edu
Thu Mar 25 20:02:27 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am running samba 2.2.7 with winbind. The winbind stuff is working
fine, I am joined to the domain, and can authenticate samba via the
domain user accounts. I also however would like this machine to server
as a public printserver that requires no authentication. Is this
possible? my smb.conf looks like this:
[global]

    workgroup = ALCHEMY
    template shell = /bin/false
    template homedir = /home/%D/%U
    winbind uid = 10000-50000
    winbind gid = 10000-50000
    server string = WINBIND
    wins server = x.x.x.x
    security = domain
    password server = *
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    hosts allow = x.x. 127.
    dns proxy = no
    printcap name = /etc/printcap

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         create mask = 0700
         guest ok = Yes
         printable = Yes
         browseable = Yes
         public = Yes

I'm pretty much trying anything in the [printers] section...any thoughts?

thanks,
stephen

Stephen Agar, Systems Administrator II
University of Southern Mississippi, iTech
e-mail: stephen.agar at usm.edu
phone(stennis):  228.688.1994
phone(h-burg):   601.266.5416