[Samba] CUPS and Upload printer drivers ...

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Thu Mar 25 12:59:13 GMT 2004

> >> otherwise I get "result was WERR_INVALID_PRINTER_NAME", which I
think
> >> maybe Samba needs to ask CUPS if the queue is new or something.

Right now Samba doesn't know about changes in CUPS.  However, if you
make a change to smb.conf or send a SIGHUP to the smbd daemons, they
will reload their configuration and part of that process is asking CUPS
what queues it has now.

> > Yes you're right, Samba needs to be restarted for cupsaddsmb
recognize
> > the new printers

SIGHUP is all that is needed, no need to restart.

>     Okay, that is a bit of a problem, is there no way for CUPS to tell
> Samba that new printers have been added, or for Samba to Ask CUPS if
new
> printers have been added ... would work better, and have less problems
> ... but then I am just a silly little admin ...

Samba CAN ask CUPS if new printers have been added, it just doesn't do
it periodically for no reason.  I thought there was an enhancement
request in bugzilla to do something about this, but now I can't find it.

~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.