[Samba] Nested Printer Shares?

Daniel Costello danielc at clinedavis.com
Thu Mar 25 01:38:31 GMT 2004

Hello  Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a way to nest a printer share inside a already
existing fileshare.  I have one server hosting 4 networks worth of
printers, and want to have the printers separated into different
folders when logging into the smb server.   The Printers are working
properly with CUPS, the functionality of the actualy samba/cups
relation isn't a problem.
I'm running a Yellow Dog Linux box with Samba version:
samba-2.2.8-1.3.0a with cups version: cups-1.1.17-13.3.

For example, I have 2 printers:  "8WestPrinter1",  "8EastPrinter1".
Right now when I log in, I see all the printers in one list.  What I'm
trying to do is create a file share (Folder) named 8Eest, and then have
the printer shares for 8EastPrinter1 show up within it.  And likewise
with three other File shares containing their zones printers.  Here is
what I have now:

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /etc/samba/drivers
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = yes
write list = root

[8East]
         comment = 9th Floor Copy Printers
         public = yes
         path = /var/SubnetPrinters/9Copy
         browseable = yes
         guest ok = yes
         read only = yes

[8EastPrinter1]
         guest ok = yes
         browsable = yes
         path = /var/spool/samba/
         printable = yes
         writable = yes
         public = yes
         printer admin = nobody

The 8East Folder shows up without a problem, but I can't get the
8EastPrinter1 to show up inside the folder.  I can SWEAR that I was
able to get this working at one point in the past.  I seem to remember
there being a variable I could use to define the location where the
printer share would mount.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Daniel Costello

--
Cline, Davis & Mann
220 East 42nd Street
NYC, NY 10017
(212) 907-4300
(212) 450-2961 direct
___
Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this
message.  If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
(or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you
may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.  In such case,
you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender
by reply e-mail.  Please advise immediately if you or your
employer do not consent to Internet e-mail of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message
that do not relate to the official business of CDM shall
be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.