[Samba] samba 2 -> samba 3

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 24 23:15:38 GMT 2004

Running samba 2.2.7a-8.9.0 on RedHat 9.0 system. It is our fileserver.
Going to upgrade to samba 3 and I wanted to make sure nothing is going to
break. Our smb.conf for samba 2.2.7a is very straightforward. No PDC or
anything like that. domain master = no. password server is our NT4 domain
controller. So I'm thinking it should be an easy take. I've checked the
smb.conf man pages for samba 3 and nothing in our smb.conf is depricated
or going to cause a problem, so I think.

So here is the plan:
Save the smb.conf. rpm -e the samba 2 stuff. Then rpm -i the
samba-3.0.2a-1 rh9.i386.rpm from samba.org. Put the smb.conf back in
place, and then we are happy. Right? Maybe samba 3.0.2a needs some other
rpms, which is no problem I can install them at that point.

Am I missing anything, or is this a simple thing?

Thanks!

Alex