[Samba] Authentication With Different IDs

Steven Kurylo skurylo at cleartech.ca
Wed Mar 24 18:58:45 GMT 2004

Jerry Maldonado (Apollo) wrote:

>I have an application user name "psadmin" shared out through samba with a
>set password.  I have multiple windows users who need to map to this share.
>I am able to map the drive using the windows "login as a different user"
>option.  However, if the user logs out of the windows box, then back in,
>they have to re-type the password for the mapped drive.
>
>Is there a way user abc can log into the "psadmin" share every time without
>having to re-enter the password?

You can do this with windows xp; I don't know about other versions of
windows.  From the control panel click on User Accounts.  Chose a user.
In the related task box there is an option called "Manage my network
passwords".  From this box you can setup arbitrary
server/username/password combinations.

I don't know of another way to this menu, but I'm sure there are.  Its
the "Stored Username and Passwords" manager.  A quick google finds
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287536

--
Steven Kurylo