[Samba] Access denied to share

jamie.harwood jamie.harwood at caddock.com
Wed Mar 24 15:24:54 GMT 2004

Hi all -

I'm setting up my first Samba server on an NT domain running winbindd, samba
version 3.3.3-14.3e on Red Hat Linux.

Here's my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = CADDOCK
        server string = samba server
        security = DOMAIN
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        os level = 0
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 10.1.1.20
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        template homedir = /users/%U
        winbind separator = +
        hosts allow = 10.1.1., 10.1.2., 127.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = root, jamie.harwood
        create mask = 0600
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        use client driver = Yes
        browseable = No

[public]
        comment = Public Stuff
        path = /Public
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[users]
        path = /users
        read only = No

[shares]
        path = /users/shares
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[fred.smith]
        path = /users/fred.smith
        valid users = CADDOCK+jamie.harwood CADDOCK+fred.smith

Here's the directory permissions:

drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root         4096 Mar 23 09:39 .
drwxr-xr-x   21 root     root         4096 Mar 23 09:56 ..
drwsrws---    4 CADDOCK+jamie.harwood CADDOCK+Executives     4096 Mar 22
11:26 jamie.harwood
drwsrws---    3 CADDOCK+fred.smith CADDOCK+Executives     4096 Mar 23 10:31
fred.smith
drwx------    2 root     root        16384 Mar  4 15:32 lost+found
drwsrws---    2 CADDOCK+john.doe CADDOCK+Executives     4096 Mar 22 11:16
john.doe
drwsrwsrwx    5 CADDOCK+jamie.harwood CADDOCK+Domain Users     4096 Mar 23
08:02 shares
drwx------    9 root     root         4096 Mar 22 15:51 .Trash-root

The directory permissions work fine for the user and group, but my valid
users statement does not seem to work - if I try to access the fred.smith
directory as user jamie.harwood from an w2k machine, I just get "access
denied". I just need to allow more than one user full access to the
directory, but I don't want to manipulate the groups. Shouldn't the valid
users statement on the share override the directory permissions? Is it a
synatax issue? It should be a simple resolution but it's driving me nuts!

THANKS!