[Samba] NetBIOS over TCP/IP versus direct hosting over TCP/IP

Richard C. Wargo rwargo at specllc.com
Wed Mar 24 14:11:45 GMT 2004

>From Microsoft web site (Windows 2000 Resource Kit):

"Windows 2000 uses NetBIOS over TCP/IP to communicate with prior versions of
Windows NT and other clients, such as Windows 95. However, the Windows 2000
redirector and server components now support direct hosting for
communicating with other computers running Windows 2000. With direct
hosting, NetBIOS is not used for name resolution. DNS is used for name
resolution and the Microsoft networking communication is sent directly over
TCP without a NetBIOS header. Direct hosting over TCP/IP uses TCP port 445
instead of the NetBIOS session TCP port 139.
By default, both NetBIOS and direct hosting are enabled, and both are tried
in parallel when a new connection is established. The first to succeed in
connecting is used for any given attempt. NetBIOS over TCP/IP support can be
disabled to force all traffic to use TCP/IP direct hosting."
True or False:  SAMBA does not support TCP/IP direct hosting as defined by
Microsoft.
If I disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP support on a Win2K client, I lose
visibility to my SAMBA server.  When I re-enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, I can
access my SAMBA server.

Am I missing something?  I am using the 3.0.2a sources.