[Samba] Urgent Speed Issues.

Brett Stevens brett.stevens at hubbub.com.au
Wed Mar 24 07:35:15 GMT 2004

Hi guys, Sorry for what is most likely been asked before.

We have just finished setting up a samba server using Suse 9.0 and samba
3.0.2a.

All seems to have worked well (I've been using samba for some time now) but
I seem to be having issues with speed. Especially during file permissions
queries from windows 2k and actual file transfers.

My config is extremely simple, modifying only that that really needs it but
the relevant options are
[global]
        workgroup               = hidden
        netbios name            = hidden
        interfaces              = 127.0.0.1 eth0
        bind interfaces only    = true
        syslog only             = yes
        log level               = 50 (done for initial debug)
        socket options          = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096
SO_RCVBUF=4096

#WinBind info
        winbind cache time      = 15
        winbind separator       = +
        winbind uid             = 10000-20000
        winbind gid             = 10000-20000
        winbind enum users      = yes
        winbind enum groups     = yes
        template homedir        = /export/home/%D/%U
        template shell          = /bin/bash
        security                = ADS
        realm                   = hidden.com.au
        encrypt passwords       = yes
        server string           = hidden NAS
        domain master           = false
        domain logons           = no
        local master            = no
        preferred master        = auto

Network seems ok and transfer rates seem ok with ftp and nfs, it seems to be
only samba.
Is there any benefit in using Wins support, there is a wins box on the net,
same as the ADS server.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brett Stevens