[Samba] Licensing issues with MS Domain

L. Mark Stone LMStone at RNoME.com
Wed Mar 24 02:29:27 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 17:26, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > Can we still be in the Domain and use the domain for authentication without
> > promtping warnings about licences?
>
> I have never seen licence warnings like that - you will need to provide
> us with more information on what licencing modal you have selected,

Andrew, FWIW, we have seen a large percentage of client installations
have problems with Microsoft's Licensing services. The two problems we
see are (I'm oversimplifying here...) first that a licensing service
doesn't clear its cache of licenses in use quickly enough after a user
logs out (it keeps the license in use for a few extra days...), and
second, that it will sometimes allocate several licenses per logon.  We
see the latter often with Exchange 2000, where a user logging in via
Outlook Web Access gets allocated three Exchange CALs. You very quickly
run out of CALs that way!

Heck, we even had a SQL 2000 Server *in per-processor mode* complain
once about being out of licenses! I wish I had saved that screen shot!

When I take on a new client, I ask to see invoices for all of their MS
licenses, and I usually try to install a third party auditing tool (like
Executive Software's SiteKeeper). After that, I then disable the MS
licensing service.

This is a long way of saying that I haven't found the MS Licensing
service in general to be particularly accurate. YMMV.

Best regards,
Mark

L. Mark Stone
President