[Samba] RPCClient - Shutting down a Windows machine from Linux

barsenault at gto.net barsenault at gto.net
Wed Mar 24 00:43:43 GMT 2004

Quoting Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>:

> Try 'net rpc shutdown' instead.  They use slightly different codepaths
> now.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I didn't realize I could acheive the same thing
using _net_.
Unfortunately, I also received similar problems.  Now the error looks like this
when no user is
logged into the windows machine:

[]# net rpc shutdown -I x.x.x.x -U Administrator
Password:
[2004/03/23 19:30:18, 0] utils/net_rpc.c:rpc_shutdown_internals(1571)
  Shutdown of remote machine failed!

When a user is logged into Windows, the above error does not appear, and
shutdown occurs as
usual.

What services other that RemoteProcedureCall are necessary for this in Windows?

Brian

Andrew, sorry about the off-list post. Most of my other mailing lists reply-to
group. ba