[Samba] logon problems!!

fredrik.peras-cederberg at nackademin.com fredrik.peras-cederberg at nackademin.com
Tue Mar 23 13:26:42 GMT 2004

To all samba gurus!

 I have fightning with a problem for 2 days now and still can't get any
 hang of it.
 I have set up my samba server to act as a PDC, for windows
 2000pro/XPpro clients.
 Now i want my windows2k machine to join my domain, i created in my
 smb.conf.

 here is my smb.conf

 [global]
   netbios name = bender
   workgroup = MORDOR
   os level = 65
   preferred master = yes
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   security = user
   domain logon = yes
   logon path = \\bender\profiles\%u
   logon drive = Z:
   logon home = \\bender\%u
   logon script = logon.cmd
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g smbusers -s
 /bin/false -m %u
   add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g    machines
 -s /bin/false -m %u
   wins support = yes

 [netlogon]
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
   public = no
   read only = no
   write list = root
   browseable = no
   valid users = root smbusers

 [profiles]
   path = /home/winprof
   read only = no
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700
   browseable = no
   valid users = root smbusers
 [homes]
   valid users = %S
   read only = no
   browseable = no

 I'm running 'testparm smb.conf' and there is no problem, it says it's
 a ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC which is a good thing ;).

 In the netlogon share i create logon.cmd file and make it a dos file
 with my favorite editor vim.

 here's the content of logon.cmd:

   REM windows client logon script
   REM

   net time \\bender /SET /YES
   net use Z: \\bender\homes /PERSISTENT:NO

 I'm setting smbpasswd -a root and starting smbd -D & nmbd -D

 On my win2k i have set my samba server ip-address in the WINS
 settings+NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

 When i'm going to 'System propertites and put my domain name 'MORDOR'
 in this case, a login prompt appears and i entering
 root+password(smbpasswd).
 At this moment it fails. A pop-up window appears and it couldn't find
 the username.

 As you can see i'm trying to do an On-the-fly creation, but i have
 also tried it manually and the same window appears.

 what have i miss?

 //Fredrik