[Samba] PRINTING CUPS on Samba 3.0 - PS Driver upload

Herbert FRIEDL H.Friedl at unido.org
Mon Mar 22 08:19:02 GMT 2004

Dear all

samba 3.0.2pre1-1
cups 1.1.20

i am testing the CUPS printing on Samba 3.0.2pre1-1  and so far we have
a good impression about the system
We want to use only Postscript for our printers.

The cupsaddsmb tool works great and printing with the cups driver is
fine.
The Add Printer Wizard for uploading vendor specific for the PCL 5
drivers is working fine and printing is working.

I have some trouble with the vendor specific Post script drivers.

Uploading the Postscript drivers is OK but when we want to print
something on the  printers (hp2280, hp2300)
the printer only prints the prostscript definition text and produces
tons of pages.

The output file in /var/spool/cups looks ok for a postscript printer.

I am a bit confused because postscript printing is working for other
printers like canon-ir5000.

Anyone out there who can give me some troubleshooting tips

many thanks

 Herbert Friedl
  Network and Operations
  Information & Communication Management Unit (OCG/ICM)