[Samba] Re: Change hostname from "localhost"

Neil Muller neil at neologix.net
Sat Mar 20 02:25:00 GMT 2004

Hi Bjorn,

The lmhosts files is used by windows to resolve netbios names into ip
addresses so I guess that Samba uses it for the same thing with the
proviso that the names have to conform to the rules for netbios names
... otherwise it is very similar to the hosts file.  On the systems I
configure I usually have samba acting as a wins server and resolve
netbios names from dns so my lmhosts file just contains

127.0.0.1      localhost

In hosts files there is often an additional name on each line which
provides an alternate name for the machine at the specified address such as

127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain      localhost

which allows you to use any of these elements as synonym for 127.0.0.1
(or whatever address is on the line). You can also use this feature to
block ads etc. Google for netbios name rules, hosts file and lmhosts
file for more info.

Glad you got it all working.

Cheers,

Neil