[Samba] Samba 3 - Can't connect from XP Pro

Jess Jackson jessjackson at cox.net
Thu Mar 18 01:21:55 GMT 2004

Hello:

I just upgraded my Mandrake Linux box to the 10.0 release and got the
Samba 3.02 upgrade as well. All has gone well except I cannot connect my
two Windows XP Pro PC's to the Linux  box. I got the upgraded smb.conf
file, but ended up deleting it and starting from scratch with the SWAT
Wizard.

Samba 2.? was working fine before, but the only way I can now share a
drive from the Samba box to the XP is to enable GUEST login with my user
name. I assume that is a big security no-no.

I have my user name "jess" with a Samba password the same as my Win XP
login. I also have the following settings in the [global] section of
your smb.conf:

  security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes

Since it works with GUEST login, I guess this must be a SAMBA password
or security related problem. Is there a way to list all the users active
in the SAMBA password file?

I am fairly new at SAMBA, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jess