[Samba] Resetting passwords using pdbedit?

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Wed Mar 17 23:12:31 GMT 2004

[Environment: Samba 3.0.2a with "passdb backend = tdbsam" ]

I want to be able to reset user passwords from the command line
on the Unix server, without knowledge of the existing password.

If I was using an smbpasswd file, I could call the "smbpasswd"
command and it would edit the file.  But with a backend, that's
not available to me.

The "pdbedit" command will let me specify a password for a new user,
but not for an existing one.

I thought perhaps I could create a dummy smbpasswd file with one
entry in it, use the "smbpasswd" command to reset the password in the
dummy file, and use "pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam" to push the account
into the tdbsam backend.  Nice idea, but:

   [root samba]# pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e
   Unable to modify passwd TDB! Error: Record exists occured while storing the
   main record (USER_testuser)

Looks like import/export with pdbedit is for new records only.  And
besides, it would probably corrupt the RIDs that I carefully imported
from a Windows domain (thanks to the "net rpc vampire" command and Andrew's
kind assistance on this list).

I think what I need is a patch to pdbedit to allow changing password
data as it can change other data in the user record.  Is this planned?
If not, are "patches being accepted" for it?

	-- Ed