[Samba] Samba3.0.2a, MS Office (Excel), Save problem.

Dave Addison dave at redmoor.org.uk
Wed Mar 17 23:07:26 GMT 2004

In message <20040312010241.GC28545 at legion.cup.hp.com>, Jeremy Allison
<jra at samba.org> writes
>On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 04:32:57PM +0100, Jonas Olsson wrote:
>>
>> In my deployment of Samba 3.0.2a to two production environments I came
>> across this problem. I am not using ACLs in the underlying filesystem
>> (ext3fs) on our Linux servers but files saved by Excel and Word (Office
>> XP/2003) were getting Unix modes of 0444 (only the read flag set).
>>
>> In my case I was able to boil the problem down to the following
>> combination of options:
>>
>> profile acls = yes
>> nt acl support = yes
>>
>> If both of these are set for a share (nt acl support is enabled for all
>> shares by default), Excel and Word will reset the file permissions to
>> read-only for files saved. I suspect this has to do with Office
>> applications trying to change the ACLs on files they manipulate.
>
>Hmmm - setting "profile acls = yes" when you have no ACL
>support enabled in the filesystem would not seem to be a
>good idea....
>
>I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce this.
>
>Thanks very much in tracking down the problem this
>precisely !
>
>Cheers,
>
>       Jeremy.
I had the same problem, but this was because I put profile acls = yes in
the global section of the config file rather than the section specific
to the profile share. IIRC profile acls = yes has to be set on a profile
share before Windows XP clients will read the profiles regardless of
whether the underlying filesystem supports acls, or did I misunderstand
this?
--
Dave Addison