[Samba] Re: Win 98 loosing it.

Jeff Umbach jeff at theserverpos.com
Wed Mar 17 23:06:24 GMT 2004

I know you said you already checked power saving features, but was that in
just Windows?  Be sure to check in the CMOS settings for any power saving
features as well.  I had this happen in Win2k and it ended up being that the
problematic computers had S3 set as the default in their APM settings when
it should have been S1.  This would be a probable cause if your motherboards
have onboard NICs.

Do you use DNS or WINS for name resolution?  I did have some connection
problems that were solved by using static IPs and statically defined entries
in the zone file for the domain.

Since the ping works but drive mappings are lost, it may indeed be a samba
issue.  Do you have the SO_KEEPALIVE setting in the string value for the
socket options in your smb.conf file?

"Bob Crandell" <bob at assuredcomp.com> wrote in message
news:20040317.LCm.94514300 at ocicat...

That was one of the first things I checked.  Power save and screen savers
are
the first to go when I troubleshoot a Windoze issue.

Thanks

--
Assured Computing, Inc.
When you need to be sure.