[Samba] access 2003 clients can't print to samba 3 server ( access 2000 can)

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Wed Mar 17 22:44:22 GMT 2004

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com wrote:

>>>Has anyone else heard of or had any issues printing with Access 2003

>>>samba servers?  Other office 2003 products print fine, and Access
>>>

>2000
>

>>>worked, but Access 2003 will not print to a samba server here.  In
>>>

>order
>

>>>to get access 2003 to print, I have to change default printer to
>>>something on a windows server, and then it works?
>>>

>>That sounds more than a little suspicious.
>>What sort of setup do you have?
>>Samba ==> CUPS?
>>

>Yes
>

>>Raw print queue or the CUPS driver?
>>

>Raw, w2k driver installed from print$ share.  This is not a
>manufacturer's driver with all the bell's and whistles either, just
>simple default w2k minidriver.
>

>>I have had some issues printing reports from Access to some of our
>>printers that claim to be PCL6 compatible ( and have PCL6 drivers ),
>>

>but
>

>>only work with the PCL5 drivers.
>>
>>What happens when you try to print?
>>

>Here's the latest.  When I have some samba printers installed as the
>default printer, File... Print-Preview causes the window to momentarily
>flash light like it redrew itself, but that's it.  File... Print
>(Ctrl-P) does not seem to do anything.  No print property windows or
>anything.  With Access 2000, everything worked.
>
>With the same printers on a windows server, File... Print-Preview causes
>the window (that previously just flashed light like a redraw) to display
>the preview in the same window.  Print-Preview toggles back and forth
>between these views.  File... Print (Ctrl-P) brings up a "Print" window,
>and here I can see the samba printers that didn't work if they were the
>"default printer", select them, and print using them.  But if those
>printers were previously the "default printer", none of it works.
>
>Through trial and error, I've discovered that our HP LaserJet 4050 and
>8100 on the samba server both fail if they are the default, but oddly
>enough a HP LaserJet IIISi on the same server works fine.
>
>If I install one of the same failing drivers (8100) as a local printer
>(even while keeping existing driver), print preview and other operations
>work fine.  It's only when the samba printer is selected as the default
>printer that I have problems :(.
>
>~ Daniel

You're not going to like this, but I think it's a problem you should be
taking up with M$.
I can't imagine why the print preview operation would need to contact
the print server. Our Access 2002 ( XP ) system works fine with:

Samba-3.0.1
CUPS-1.1.20 ( raw print queues )
  - HP 4050N
  - HP 4500N ( colour )
  - Ricoh AP3200
  - Ricoh AF2027

I've just tried copying one of our Access shells to my PC, creating a
small local table, creating a report of the table, pulling the network
cable out, and running the report, and it doesn't seem to have a problem
doing a print preview for a network printer that is unavailable. Maybe
Access 2003 is asking something new and M$-specific of the server?

I'm suspicious that this is
a) M$ being clever about not printing to a samba server
b) Some other issue with Access 2003.

Maybe if you were handy with a packet sniffer you could see what happens
when Access 2003 wants to do a print preview. I know I'd have no idea
what to do :)

Sorry I can't be more help. I will keep this discussion in mind when
considering our upgrade path...

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer