[Samba] Mac OS X Server 10.3: Monotonically increasing Samba processes?

Keith Bettinger bettingr at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 17 22:26:47 GMT 2004

Through my Server Admin, a graph of Samba "connected users" shows that
the number of smbd server processes grows and grows without end --
processes never time out/log out and die.  This was no problem under
light usage, but when I moved a heavily used share to the server, the
number of processes spun out of control.

What made it all worse was that many of the supposedly dormant
processes still took up 0.5% of the CPU, which, when the process
numbers grew into the hundreds, did a nice job of locking up the
server.

Can anyone else report a similar experience?  Is there a fix?

Keith Bettinger
Lead Programmer/Head Systems Administrator
Stanford Psychiatry Neuroimaging Laboratory
(650) 498-4620

Technical Details:

Machine Model: Xserve
       CPU Type: PowerPC G4  (3.3)
       Number Of CPUs: 2
       CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
       L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
       L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
       Memory: 2 GB
       Bus Speed: 167 MHz
       Boot ROM Version: 4.65f3

smb.conf:
[global]
	log level = 2
	display charset = UTF-8-MAC
	print command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess printps %p %s
	lprm command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess remove %p %j
	security = domain
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	guest account = unknown
	encrypt passwords = yes
	password server = *
	printing = BSD
	allow trusted domains = no
	preferred master = no
	lppause command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess hold %p %j
	netbios name = spnlXserve
	wins support = no
	add machine script = /usr/bin/opendirectorypdbconfig -c
create_computer_account -r %u -n "/LDAPv3/127.0.0.1"
	max smbd processes = 0
	printcap =
	server string = spnlXserve MEGA Server
	lpresume command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess release %p %j
	logon drive = H:
	domain logons = no
	lpq command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess jobs %p
	admin users = @admin
	passdb backend = opendirectorysam guest
	dos charset = CP437
	unix charset = UTF-8-MAC