[Samba] Windows 'Adminsitrator' User Can't Connect

Jason McCormick jmlists at lexi.com
Tue Mar 16 15:33:37 GMT 2004

Hello all,

  I'm in the process of moving from Samba 2.2 -> Samba 3.0 and I'm
running into an issue with the Windows user 'Administrator'.  This
samba box is using ADS and has Kerberos properly configured.  All
windows users except Administrator seem to work properly.  I have
Administrator in smbusers mapped to root:

# Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
root = Administrator administrator

And I have several shares that are marked to allow root as a valid user.
These same shares also have other Windows users and a user as one of
those people seems to work fine.  A share example is:

[opt]
   path = /opt
   public = no
   writable = yes
   force user = root
   valid users = root jmccormick sconrad

However when logged into a Windows box as the Administrator user I get
the following error message in smbd.log:

[2004/03/16 10:17:31, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(218)
  Username Administrator is invalid on this system

I've even gone as far to add a UNIX user called "Administrator" in the
system to see if that would fix things.  Anyone see what I'm doing
wrong?  Am I missing some sort of security feature?

Thanks

-- Jason