[Samba] winbind: how to map Windows groups to existing unix groups; limit windows group to unix groups

Leon Leon at dragonparadise.com
Tue Mar 16 10:25:18 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm running samba 3.0.2a as a windows domain MEMBER, security=ADS.

Just installed winbind last week it it looks great.

However I would like to have winbind 'map' some windows groups (e.g.
"Domain Users") to existing unix groups (e.g. "users").

First I thought net groupmap could be used to achieve this but this tool
seems only intended to map unix groups to windows groups where samba is the
Primary DC (not my case..).

Also I would like winbind to ignore any windows groups that I'm not
interested in.
As I discovered that under Solaris/unix a user cannot have more than 16
secondary groups (NGROUPS_MAX limit = 16).

Think this would need a patch to winbind ; I'm thinking of creating a
groupmap.txt file that is read by winbind and only maps windows groups that
are found in the first column of this file to unix groups in the second
column of this file.

I wouldn't mind winbind not allocating dynamic group id's at all! This
seems an unnecessary feature for my purpose...

Any thoughts on this or work done already?

regard

Leon