[Samba] matching UIDs to RIDs when converting from Windows to Samba

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Tue Mar 16 01:11:42 GMT 2004

I have a bunch of Windows users using a Win2k server as a PDC.  I want
to move all the server functions to a Samba server without disturbing
the users in any way.  The client machines are all Win2k, using local
profiles.

Samba insists on algorithmicly generating the RID from the UID, so the
Windows user, after migration, gets a new SID and loses contact with
their local profile.  In fact, they seem to be an entirely different
user, with a new SID and new profile directory.

I haven't had any luck yet using the "profiles" tool to convert
NTUSER.DAT, and I don't really want to go that route if I can help
it, since it involves converting to remote profiles which slows down
login/logout and doesn't meat my "seamless" migration requirements.

Is there any way to get Samba to match the Unix UIDs to Windows RIDs,
or to force the RIDs to be particular values as we can do with
"net groupmap" for groups?

Thanks,

	-- Ed