[Samba] mapping home dir

Shawn Iverson shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us
Tue Mar 16 00:50:42 GMT 2004

On Friday, March 12, 2004 12:38 PM IT Clown wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am running a RH9 box in a w2k domain. I have installed
> winbind on the RH9 box joined it to the domain
> successfully. Domain users can login with their accounts.
> The problem is when they login they get a message stating
> that their home dir doesnt excists. How can i map their
> home dir that is on a w2k member server and how can i
> create their home dir on the RH9 box when the domain users
> login? I would prever to map their home dir from the member
> server.

Use pam_mkhomedir to make your local home directories (see the pam docs for
how to do this).

To mount a Windows home share on which a user has permissions, use
pam_mount.  This module will transfer the password using PAM that a user
enters during login to the appropriate mount command.

Download pam_mount from:

http://www.flyn.org/projects/pam_mount/index.html

Read the docs.  Here is my configuration:

/etc/security/pam_mount.conf:

(last line in the file)

volume * smb WinServer & /home/&/WinHome uid=&,gid=& - -

Edit the /etc/pam.d/ files accordingly.